Re: OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list]

Sean wrote:
On Tue, June 7, 2005 5:38 pm, Matthew Lenz said:
 > If you're going to undermine the integrity of your system and the open
source process at the same time, you're better off just going back and
using Windows.  Actually, do whatever you want personally, but don't
spread this bad advice here.

That's a very naive thing to say. You can't deny the fact that people want graphics hardware acceleration for various reasons, whether it's games, video apps or openGL development. Now F/OSS can't provide that, at least not yet, and not well enough. Not everyone uses the NVidia driver by choice. And if you think their driver is a pain to deal with, don't ever try to get a USB wireless device working. I need this for one of my boxes and I have to deal with the infamous linux-wlan driver, an absolute piece of garbage that doesn't even implement the wireless extensions and is riddled with SMP race conditions :-( Unfortunately, it's the only way to get some 3-year old USB wireless receivers to work (anything newer isn't supported). Now you can't say it's my fault for needing USB-based wireless connectivity (it's not my fault is the media box i use has no PCI slots). I'm the first to agree it's all NVidia's fault for not releasing their entire driver under the GPL. Maybe if the companies that owned the most powerful Linux distros were to put some pressure on them...

-denis