Re: Permanent Updates Policy exception for PrusaSlicer, Cura, Black, tox, HTTPie and ownCloud Desktop Client

Otto Urpelainen <oturpe@xxxxxx> writes:

*snip*

> I wonder if Updates Policy should have general wording that would allow
> you to update this package without asking for exceptions, or at least
> "make it more likely to grant a request"? It does not make much sense to
> disallow client program updates because they contain "new features" when
> the remote backends it is connecting to require those features.
>
> Web browsers are another example of this, and maybe also your 3d printer
> control apps.

Agreed, I think we should not prevent upgrades to new major versions for
end user applications where it is highly desirable to be able to use the
new version. This is especially important for programs that connect to a
backend that might be using a newer version outside of the user's
control.

I am however unsure what the exact rules are, because I also pushed an
upgrade of Emacs from 26 to 27 to Fedora 33 and received a few
complaints there (to my surprise).

Cheers,

Dan