Re: F35 Change: tzdata-minimal (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 7/15/21 6:34 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 01:20:47PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/tzdata-minimal
>>
>> == Summary ==
>> Split the tzdata package into two parts - tzdata and tzdata-minimal.
>> tzdata will require tzdata-minimal.  tzdata-minimal provides the
>> minimal files needed to support UTC on containers.
>>
>> == Owner ==
>> * Name: Patsy Griffin (Franklin)
>> * Email: patsy@xxxxxxxxxx
>>

>> == Detailed Description ==
>> This is the first step towards providing support for a minimal, UTC
>> only, version of tzdata for containers.  The tzdata-minimal package
>> will be a stand-alone, UTC only, subset of tzdata. The tzdata package
>> will require tzdata-minimal.
>>
>> With this framework in place, other packages can develop code to
>> detect a minimal tzdata installation.  These packages will also need
>> to provide appropriate messages when users request timezone
>> information not available when only tzdata-minimal is installed.
>
> In general, I like the idea of making it easier to not install tzdata.
> For many machines it's completely unnecessary, and 5MB is enough to
> make this worthwhile.

Thanks for supporting the idea.

> I don't know enough about all the consumers to comment on the details.
> FWIW, systemd-timedated already has a reasonable message that encompasses
> both possible errors:
>
>   $ timedatectl set-timezone Europe/Warsaw2
>   Failed to set time zone: Invalid or not installed time zone 'Europe/Warsaw2'
>
> But I think it'd be useful to use a different message if we can
> distinguish the two cases. I'd be happy to take a patch...

Yes, you could say "invalid" (zone table files installed) if the zone is not
in one of the tables, and "invalid or not installed" if there are no files
(no tzdata installed).

We are still in the process of checking with upstream tzdata if they are
comfortable with, and will support *not* installing some of the zones, and
document that upstream.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.