Re: License field is now “effective license” in agenda, appeditor, gaupol, harmonyseq, libinstpatch, notejot, sequeler

Hi Benjamin,

On 7/9/21 3:47 PM, Benjamin Beasley wrote:
> I’ve updated several of my packages to use only the “effective license” in their License fields, in cases where it was very clear that a single effective license was correct. The following packages are affected:
>
> - agenda: “GPLv3+ and GPLv2+ and LGPLv2+ and CC0” becomes “GPLv3+”
> - appeditor: “GPLv3 and LGPLv2+ and CC0” becomes “GPLv3”
> - gaupol: “GPLv3+ and CC0” becomes “GPLv3+”
> - harmonyseq: “GPLv3+ and GPLv2+ and CC0” becomes “GPLv3+”
> - libinstpatch: “LGPLv2 and Public Domain” becomes “LGPLv2”
> - notejot: “GPLv3+ and GPLv2+ and CC0” becomes “GPLv3+”
> - sequeler: “GPLv3+ and GPLv2+ and LGPLv2+ and CC0” becomes “GPLv3+”

In general this is the right thing to do, thank you for simplifying
the License field for these packages.

One remark about this tough, I wonder what files the CC0 licenses
were for ?

Sometimes acceptable CC licenses (typically other ones then CC0)
are used for assets, like icons / artwork / docs.

In that case, since those assets are not linked into a resulting
binary the assets stay under the CC license (AFAIK, IANAL, etc.).

So if that is the case for any of the above packages then the new
License field should still include the "and CC0", with the binaries
being under the GPL variant and the assets being under CC0.

This is typically documented with a comment in the .spec above the
License field explaining things.

Regards,

Hans