Re: F35 Change: Filtered Flathub Applications (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 6:14 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 10:26 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Filtered_Flathub_Applications
> >
> > == Summary ==
> > Enabling third-party repositories will now create a Flathub remote
> > that is a filtered view of Flathub.
>
> I have a few questions / concerns with this proposal, primarily these two:
>
> 1. I wonder if this might be a possible source of confusion /
> frustration for users. Examples:
> - "Why are my local search results not showing application X from flathub?"
> - "Why can't I install application X when I have flathub repo enabled?
> It is listed on the flathub website."

Yes, this is a bit of a concern. It would be nice to be able to show
that the repo is the Fedora-filtered version in the 'flatpak-remotes'
list and in the GNOME Software dialog.  We'll think about if there is
some way to handle this nicely. Maybe we could get a patch upstream to
add a 'FilterNote=Fedora Selections' that gets removed along with the
Filter (see below).

> 2. How is the replacement with unfiltered flathub remote implemented?
> Looking at the instructions on flathub.org, this adds a new remote
> with the "--if-not-exists" flag.
> If the remote already exists, wouldn't that command just do nothing,
> and leave the filtered, existing remote in place?
> Is this done with ugly hard-coded non-upstreamable hackery in the
> "flatpak remote-add" command on Fedora? I hope not ...

No, there's code for this already upstream. Quoting from the
flatpak-flatpakrepo(5) man page:

       Filter (string)
           The path of a local file to use to filter remote refs. See
flatpak-remote-add(1) for details on the format of the file.

           Note: This field is treated a bit special by flatpak
remote-add. If you install a remote with --if-not-exists then and the
remote
           is already configured, then the filter field of the remote
configuration will be update anyway. And, if the filter field is *not*
           specified then any existing filters are cleared. The goal
here is to allow a pre-configured filtered remote to be replaced with
the
           regular one if you add the normal upstream (unfiltered)
flatpakrepo file.

Regards,
Owen