Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:23 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/07/2021 23:27, Christian Stadelmann wrote:
> > In other words: I think it is too early to drop non-(U)EFI BIOS support.
>
> Btw, the upcoming Windows 11 will require full UEFI support, enabled
> UEFI Secure Boot and TPM 2.0.

That is slightly more complicated in later updates
by Microsoft, which talks about new computers to
be sold retail and installed with Windows (and
Microsoft has been upping the requirements for
new retail computers slowly over time).  They
also talk about needing an Intel gen8 processor
or better (although that is at least partially likely
to be the case because Intel no longer supports
older processors according to their support
list).

For existing devices to upgrade, TPM 1.2 is
apparently sufficient, and it is not clear that
UEFI (at all, or in Secure Boot mode) will
be required, and they do say that older
processors are likely to work, but they are
not testing them.  And it is possible for
upgrades from W10 they might relax any
or all of the initially stated requirements.  For
the early adopter builds that have been made
available it seems none of the requirements
are currently hard (just "recommendations").

So I am not sure that Microsoft's
announcements, which seem to be somewhat
fluid, should drive Fedora's decisions.

Personally, if DUET (or equivalent) worked
(and I have not tried it) that would work for
me with my few remaining legacy BIOS
only boxes;