Re: Python libraries problem with F34

On 7/5/21 4:01 PM, Felix Schwarz wrote:
Hi Fred,

your code works for me without printing any warnings.

Am 05.07.21 um 10:01 schrieb Frederic Muller:> I install all my libraries using pip. The important thing is that you never use pip to install anything into Fedora's site-packages /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/ . That can (and will) cause a lot of trouble. Use "dnf" only to install stuff into your system site-packages directory. Use virtualenvs (or similar mechanisms) to install your own libraries with pip.
Ok I didn't know that. I however install them for my user. So the (full) error message is actually:
Warning (from warnings module):
  File "/home/fred/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/__init__.py", line 89

I guess it's the same as /usr/lib64/ then?

Actually I see a lot of bug reports about certbot in Fedora/EPEL where users installed custom Python libraries which break Fedora's certbot. For Python packages included in Fedora we can check that everything works fine (though sometimes a bug might go unnoticed).

I suggest you revert all manual changes first, reinstall all Python packages and then create a custom virtualenv if you need additional libraries:

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/* | grep 'is not owned by any package' -> you will see a list of files/directories which are not part of Fedora's
   packages. You should delete those.

Once you did that, check all remaining Python packages which might have been replaced by pip:
$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/* | xargs rpm --verify

You'll see a list of changed files, e.g.:
S.5....T.    /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled

If these files are in /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/ you can check which python package these belong to ("rpm -qf /path/to/file") and reinstall those packages using "dnf reinstall ...".

Once you have done that you Fedora system should be fine again and you can start using virtualenvs.

Felix
Well thank you very much. I know what to do now then. :-)

Fred