Re: F35 Change: Filtered Flathub Applications (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Jun 30 2021 at 12:41:17 PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 They
bundle lots of libraries,

Well that's required for anything not present in the runtime.

don't use C/C++ build hardening flags, etc.

I believe hardening flags are added in by flatpak-builder. I think they somehow come from the runtime, though I'm not sure exactly how. (Anybody know?)

For freedesktop-sdk and the GNOME SDK, the hardening flags are actually copied straight from Fedora with only minor adjustments. E.g. GCC is built with --enable-default-pie --enable-default-ssp so the runtime doesn't need to use GCC specs in the default flags like Fedora does. Again, since applications do get these flags (somehow), they have to go out of their way to screw this up.

(Seriously, how do the applications inherit the hardening flags? It can't be via magic. We should confirm that this actually works.)

A lot of applications from Flathub uses --filesystem=host or
--filesystem=home, which means they don't use Flatpak isolation at all.

This is true. However, for most Fedora editions, it's also irrelevant, because RPMs are entirely unsandboxed and banning poorly-sandboxed flatpak applications doesn't make sense when you can just install completely unsandboxed RPM applications.

For Silverblue, it would make sense IMO to be stricter and filter poorly-sandboxed applications out of GNOME Software.

Michael