Re: [ELN] Rebuild ordering and side-tag support

On 29. 06. 21 21:10, Troy Dawson wrote:
Two issues I see deal with failed builds and new dependencies.
1 - failed builds.
Will there be an easy way for the ELN SIG (or whoever) to see what the failed builds are?  Or are all of these builds fire and forget?

Previously, failed build resulted in outdated ELN content and outdated ELN builroot and hence more failed (or "wrong") builds.

When nobody has time to deal with the failures, we eventually end up with a very old rawhide snapshot where nothing builds. Once the human operator gets to it, they need to manually rebbootstrap everything or essentially use the current rawhide to populate ELN with "fresh" content once again.

With this proposal, failed builds result in more rawhide content in ELN buildroot which does not degrade over time. Worst case scenario where no ELN builds are possible for a long time, we'll end up with... 100 % rawhide content. Once the failure is fixed, the content starts to be more and more % ELN gradually over time.

2 - new dependencies.
Package foo (in ELN list) get's a new dependency bar (not in ELN list).  bar will already be built when foo gets updated and built in rawhide and ELN. bar will eventually get put on the ELN list.  But with your proposal, bar has the potential to not be built in ELN for 6 months.

I don't understand how is this different than the status quo. Current ELN koji buildroot already "sees" all Rawhide packages that aren't in ELN.

It would be nice if there was still something like ELN periodic that checked what packages haven't been built and attempts to rebuild them.  I know we've had a problem in the past with it spamming due to retrying failed builds multiple times.  But it is there for a reason.

That is still necessary with this proposal (although it does not need to be that aggressive).

--
Miro Hrončok