Re: [ELN] Rebuild ordering and side-tag support

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 4:09 AM Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:43:48 -0400
> Mohan Boddu <mboddu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 3:33 PM Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > have you considered re-using koji-shadow? It might already know
> > > everything you need ...

Yes, I enquired about koji-shadow and was told (rather vociferously)
to avoid using it if at all possible.

> > But it requires another koji instance that needs maintenance.

We don't have the available resources (both physical and human) to support this.

> that's the default use case from the past (same tag, different koji
> instances), but probably with a little effort it could use different
> tags, but same koji instance, which is what ELN needs.

We don't have the resources to rewrite it either.

> But in any case, what will happen if a rebuild in ELN fails? For proper
> handling of side tags / soname bumps / bootstrapped packages someone
> must decide what is right action. Can I safely use an older build? Do I
> need to fix the failure first? Can I safely rebuild a newer build? This
> was the kind of baby-sitting we have to do to keep the shadowed arches
> up-to-date and as-close-possible. Oh, the memories :-)

Thank you for succinctly listing all the reasons why we consigned
koji-shadow to the Void.

Dealing with the results if an ELN build failed is one of the strong
points to the approach I proposed. If the ELN rebuild fails, we fall
back to leaving the Rawhide version tagged into ELN. This will keep us
from ending up with broken dependency chains as well as not having ELN
fall behind Rawhide in terms of functionality. Our current situation
is that sometimes a failed build (for example: a rebase) goes
unnoticed for some time, since not everyone is monitoring their
packages for ELN.