Re: use unit names in systemd output by default?

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:21:05AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
systemd has systemd.status_unit_format= / [Manager].StatusUnitFormat=
/ -Dstatus-unit-format-default= option to use unit names instead of the
Description in messages on the kernel console and in logs:

- Jun 20 22:04:48 krowka systemd[1]: Started Rule-based Manager for Device Events and Files.
+ Jun 20 22:04:48 krowka systemd[1]: Started systemd-udevd.service.

I find this more convenient because it's briefer, so it fits better on
a terminal, but primarily because I can select&paste the unit name for
further lookup. When Description is used, and I'm not familiar with
the unit, I'll often use grep first to figure out what the unit name
actually is. Finally, unit Descriptions are often not very good, and
the name is at least as informative…

I agree with this preference. You could consider both.

Would people be opposed to making this the default (setting
-Dstatus-unit-format-default=name in build options)? People who like
the old default could set StatusUnitFormat=description in systemd.conf

I think Fedora should stick to upstream defaults in most places. Especially with systemd it's nice if all distros align (which is one of the big benefits of systemd over sysvinit IMHO).

What does upstream think about this change? What do other distros think about this change?