Re: building against epel8 modules

On 6/22/21 7:42 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 13:22, Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/22/21 7:08 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 12:30, Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello!

I have an ordinery package, which builds as is for epel7,and all fedoras, but not for epel8:

Package openjdk-asmtools builds fine in fedora, epel7 and rhel8,  but not in epel8:
CentOS-8 - Extras                               4.3 kB/s | 1.5 kB     00:00
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64   75 kB/s | 4.7 kB     00:00
Error:
    Problem 1: conflicting requests
     - package maven-compiler-plugin-3.7.0-2.module_el8.0.0+30+832da3a1.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
    Problem 2: conflicting requests
     - package maven-jar-plugin-3.1.0-1.module_el8.0.0+30+832da3a1.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
    Problem 3: conflicting requests
     - package maven-local-5.3.0-2.module_el8.0.0+30+832da3a1.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering

web search is failing me. Is there some magical  spec switch which is enbaling... modules? or something?

Welcome to RHEL-8 modularity and the joy it brings anyone trying to
port software to 8. The problem is not with EPEL but with the way

hmm.  Thanx a lot of for a bt of light in darknes.. or mayb emore darkness in twilight :-)
various modules in 8 interact. I that the issue is that one of the
'java' modules conflicts with the maven and won't allow it to be
installed when it is. In order to deal with this you have to edit a
/etc/mock for your software with

config_opts['module_enable'] = ['maven']
config_opts['module_install'] = ['maven']

in the appropriate place and it will build locally. Or you can try to
do a scratch build in koji to see if the de-modularization script
allows it.

I can easily do this localy, but for fedpkg build? it seems that there si some corner of koji I was not aware till now!

So the original email doesn't say how you got this error. Was it from a

Sorry for it.

mock -r

It happens in local mock too, but I can workaround it here (moreover as you wrote up)
fedpkg local
fedpkg build or koji <blah>

right, fedpkg build is my main trouble.

The error you listed should not happen with builds in koji. We use a
hack to demodularize RHEL8 so that things 'work'.. however it is a

Interesting! I actually thought it is vice versa - that all modules are disabled for non modular builds. Id the default streems are now enabled, then I'm not sure how that issue could happen.
hack on top of a kludge so not all cases may work.  [If you got this
via a `fedpkg build` then this may just be impossible to build without
it being a module.]

oh gosh:( not that:(

> I can't find *anyone* who likes modularity. I'm devoutly hoping that it is discarded for RHEL 9.

Right. The idea was excellent but the implementation was really completely barked out:(

Thanx a lot for help!

--
Jiri Vanek Mgr.
Principal QA Software Engineer