Re: debugging pipewire & root access to systemd userspace

Hello Zbigniew,

Thank you very much for your answers and sorry for the late reply, IRL
things have been hectic. I've had the problem with pipewire once since
I last wrote, but I can't figure out how to trigger it at will.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 8:36 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 01:38:08AM +0200, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> > Should gdb be able to read from a sound device?
>
> It shouldn't attempt to.

Should I file a bug against gdb or abrt?

> > Having root logged in a terminal, I tried to check the state of
> > pipewire.service:
> > systemctl --machine=myuser@.host --user status pipewire.service
> >
> > to which I got the reply:
> > Failed to get properties: Transport endpoint is not connected
>
> The way that myuser@.host is implemented is surprisingly complex. See
> the original commit https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/1b630835df
> for a description.
>
> Does it work for other users? If yes, then it looks like something
> is borked for that particular user.

Forgot to check, I will try to do it later today.

> systemctl -M myuser@.host executes
> systemd-run -p User=myuser systemd-stdio-bridge -punix:path=${XDG_RUNTIME_DIR}/bus
> The error message is most likely from systemd-stdio-bridge,
> or from systemctl failing to connect to the bridge. Since the
> invocation of systemd-stdio-bridge goes through the system manager,
> you can look at the logs for that unit ('journalctl -b -u run-uNNNN.service').
> It should show some error.

There is no such service. Assuming NNNN is the uid, I have these units listed:
  user-runtime-dir@1000.service
  user@1000.service
  user-1000.slice

Looking at the logs for user@1000.service, there's nothing pertinent.
Actually there's nothing even in the unfiltered log when I issue the
command and it fails.

> > I haven't had to bother with a userspace systemd service before, so
> > going down that rabbit hole, at some point I started messing with
> > machinectl, and apparently, running something seemingly innocuous such
> > as "machinectl list-images --all" triggers a SELinux denial. But not
> > always…
> > The message I'm seeing is this:
> > audit[1079]: AVC avc:  denied  { write } for  pid=1079
> > comm="systemd-machine" name="/" dev="dm-1" ino=2
> > scontext=system_u:system_r:systemd_machined_t:s0
> > tcontext=system_u:object_r:root_t:s0 tclass=dir permissive=0
> >
> > setroubleshoot tells me that if I want to allow daemons to dump core,
> > then I should enable the 'daemons_dump_core' boolean. I don't know if
> > I want to, do I need to do that in order to dive deeper into my
> > pipewire issue? How is listing the images on a system related to
> > allowing demons to dump core though?
>
> If machined crashes, there should be logs about this. Did you
> look at the journal?

Nothing in the journal about machined crashing or doing anything else
other than getting the SELinux denial.