Re: x86_64-v2 in Fedora

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 11:38, Ron Olson <tachoknight@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apologies in advance if this is laughable naïveté, but would a possible solution be to have a different repo for packages compiled against the latest-n-greatest architectures, and packagers could choose to include their packages in there, similar to EPEL?
> Packages in this hypothetical repo could be marked to replace existing ones via %obsoletes or some other mechanism; this would give the user the control to decide if he or she wants to switch to a “higher-performant” version and not have to rely on HW checks or telemetry.

The problem mainly comes from
a) making the build system do this work
b) spreading a limited number of build systems to do more work
c) additional time to do composes of these extra repositories and deliverables
d) dealing with the usual packager backlash of 'I don't want to deal
with more bugs so I am exclusive arching my stuff out of that repo'

> Just a thought.
>
> On 15 Jun 2021, at 16:34, Neal Gompa wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Earlier this week, I was helping with processing features for openSUSE
> > Leap 15.4[1] and I discovered that they're planning on introducing
> > x86_64-v2 to openSUSE soon. The reference for this change was that
> > RHEL 9 is going to use x86_64-v2[2]. Additionally, other distributions
> > have been considering bumping up to v2 or v3[3][4].
> >
> > Some cursory examination of the new x86_64 sublevels seem to indicate
> > that x86_64-v2 goes back to roughly 2007~2008, merely cutting off the
> > first couple of generations of x86_64 CPUs from Intel and AMD. I
> > personally don't have any computers that don't have support for
> > x86_64-v2 anymore.
> >
> > Does anyone know if anyone is planning to propose this for Fedora
> > anytime soon, either as an addon architecture (like what Arch is
> > doing) or an upgrade of our x86_64 baseline like RHEL is doing?
> >
> > [1]: https://en.opensuse.org/Feature_Planning_15.4
> > [2]: https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2021/01/05/building-red-hat-enterprise-linux-9-for-the-x86-64-v2-microarchitecture-level
> > [3]: https://ml.mageia.org/l/arc/dev/2021-02/msg00583.html
> > [4]: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Arch-Linux-x86-64-v3-Port-RFC
> >
> > --
> > 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in
sci.astro.orion. I have seen SPAM filters overload because of Godwin's
Law. All those moments will be lost in time... like posts on  BBS...
time to reboot.