Re: F35 Change: Python Packaging Guidelines overhaul (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 12:50:03PM +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 15. 06. 21 2:11, Neal Gompa wrote:
It's not terribly different from how organizations may have private
Python package indexes that may use whatever names they want for
Python software they build and release.

I agree, in fact, I think Fedora's problems here are a subset of the problems the private organizations have: if issues of proprietary corps are solved, we can use the solution as well. (However, it'll need more work than is necessary for Fedora/FOSS needs, so I don't want to drive the effort.) BUT, if the issues are solved, it'll likely be through namespacing: we'd need to prefix our names with `fedora-` or `fedora:`. I still think it is better for Fedora to reuse the public PyPI namespace rather than start its own.

Registering on PyPI for private packages can be useful to avoid dependency confusion attacks[1]. Essentially we're talking about the same problem here.

[1]: https://medium.com/@alex.birsan/dependency-confusion-4a5d60fec610