Re: F35 Change: Python Packaging Guidelines overhaul (System-Wide Change proposal)

Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 14. 06. 21 19:35, Benjamin Beasley wrote:
>> I’m still in favor of running every test that is even vaguely practical in %check, but upstream Python packaging practices are wildly diverse (arguably, a mess) and it seems like a strongly worded SHOULD with a fallback of “trust the packager” would be a better approach than forcing packagers to build complicated CI configurations and go to great lengths to implement and debug network-connected tests they cannot reproduce locally.
>
> I don't disagree with you.
>
> However I think we should at least strictly require a smoke test (such as
> %python3 -c "import foo, foo.bar") in such cases, for reasons described below...

I would then suggest to change the wording from "Running upstream tests
is mandatory." to "Upstream tests SHOULD be run unless there are
compelling reasons. In that case basic smoke tests MUST be added to
%check".

We could consider suggesting Fedora CI for tests that require network
access, but given the voiced concerns its unlikely to be a viable
alternative for both package maintainers and the Python SIG conducting
Python version bump rebuilds.

Cheers,

Dan