Re: Package maintainer docs: Package Retirement: `git rm` all files in the other branches

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 10:07:27AM +0300, Otto Urpelainen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As part of the effort to move the Package Maintainer docs to
> docs.fedoraproject.org [1], I have been reviewing the existing wiki
> documentation. I would like to ask for insight on the following item:
>
> Page _How to remove a package at end of life_ [2] first says that retirement
> is done by running 'fedpkg retire', then later alludes to a special case:
>
> > 'git rm' all files in the other branches *only if* there are special
> factors at work, like licensing issues, or package being removed completely
> from Fedora.
>
> I understand this to mean that in special conditions, the package cannot
> remain behind even in stable or end-of-life Fedora releases. However, I do
> not understand why 'git rm' is mandated instead of 'fedpkg retire' that is
> used in the normal case — is the 'dead.package' tombstone somehow unwanted
> in this case? I cannot understand why it would be.

It might be somehow 'fedpkg retire' doesn't handle this case?
But I agree if it does it should be used instead of 'git rm'.
We _do_ want a dead.package there.

> Also, if the intent is to get rid of the package completely, should not
> adding it to fedora-obsolete-packages be required as well? And would that
> even work for end-of-life releases?

I would say no, but I guess we do this now all the time to normal actual
obsolete packages. :(

> Lastly, even if this complete removal case is rare, it seems to be important
> enough to have its own process description. Should it be given its own page,
> "Package Withdrawal Process" or "Package Removal Process" or such, with
> content like "1) retire the package 2) do these additional steps"?

It is very very rare (like 3-4 times ever). I would think a seperate
section there would be fine. Or perhaps it's so rare we don't need to
document it? but that seems like it might be bad someday...

kevin