Re: What are https://src.fedoraproject.org/container ?

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 7:54 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021, 8:35 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > So it would be a container built on top of Fedora Rawhide containing
>> > libguestfs?  Do we intend to build containers like this from other
>> > Fedora packages?  I'm curious what the use case is.
>> >
>> > (NB: this is not an objection to anything, people can build containers
>> > for whatever they want for all I care)
>> >

>> This specific example is to address one of the FESCo concerns about
>> the cloud VM images using btrfs by default. Since RHEL VM host systems
>> cannot read the btrfs filesystem, we want to ship a containerized
>> version of libguestfs that CAN.
>

> That can what?  As far as I know, libguestfs relies on the host to mount the filesystem.  A container still depends on the host kernel, which means a rhel VM still isn't going to be able to mount the guest btrfs disk...

At build-time, libguestfs copies the content of the kernel package
along with binaries of various filesystem tools into itself to run a
custom appliance for manipulating VMs. The Fedora-based libguestfs
package can handle Btrfs even on RHEL because it relies on the
binaries of the Fedora kernel and filesystem utilities instead of the
RHEL ones. It will run QEMU and boot up *its* VM to manipulate VM
stuff. That's even how guestfish works for mounting VM disks on the host.