Re: F35 Change: Make btrfs the default file system for Fedora Cloud (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 10:19 AM David Duncan <davdunc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 4:13 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 06:52:40AM -0000, David Duncan wrote:
>> > Bumping this for technical discussion. We are planning to put this in action if there are no technical objections.
>>
>> Please wait until the FESCo has approved the Change.
>

> I made that sound like an imperative. That was a mistake. I wanted to redirect the thread to technical review instead of program concerns.  Of course no actual implementation will be done without approval.

So, I suppose I should mention here for discussion what I put in the
FESCo ticket.  My main concern with this from a cloud image
standpoint, is cloud images are run on a number of hosts. Many of
those hosts are RHEL or CentOS based. As RHEL does not enable the
btrfs filesystem at all, and has no plans to that I am aware of, this
means that users on those hosts will no longer be able to mount their
images to debug issues or modify in any way.  Libguestfs for RHEL is
not a workaround at this point, because it doesn't support btrfs on
RHEL either.  It would also mean that these images could not be used
as container images in that environment.  Of course the images can
still be booted, and will work as expected as long as they are running
in a virtualized environment with their own kernel.  I am not sure how
important this is for people, but it needs to be considered.

Justin