Re: The Javapocalypse is Monday

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:32 PM Jerry James <loganjerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just been looking through my packager-dashboard page.  A
> depressingly large chunk of my packages are going to become
> unbuildable on Monday when a bunch of orphaned Java packages are
> retired.  I think a lot of us are going to be affected.  In my case,
> there are quite a few non-Java packages involved (due to the parser
> generators antlr3 and antlr4-project), primarily OCaml and python
> packages.  Mikolaj has a huge pile of work on his shoulders, so don't
> take this as criticism of him.
>
> Here are some of the pain points:
> - log4j will be retired, which will break ant.

I will either adopt log4j or unretire log4j12; ant should still be functional.

> - hamcrest2 will be retired, which will break apache-commons-lang3,

apache-commons-lang3 depends on hamcrest, not hamcrest2.

> - maven-install-plugin will be retired, which will break tycho, which
> will break eclipse.

maven-install-plugin depends on maven2 which has been deprecated in
Fedora end EOL upstream for more than 12 years. Therefore I'm not
going to maintain it. It should be fairly easy to patch tycho not to
depend on maven-install-plugin (one liner patch).

> - apache-ivy will be retired, which will break javapackages-tools.

Dependency on apache-ivy is optional. There is a bcond in
javapackages-tools.spec file which I will toggle in case apache-ivy is
retired.

> I have packages that depend directly on the following, so I am willing
> to adopt them if nobody more competent shows up (although there is no
> point in taking ant-contrib if ant is going to be broken anyway):
> - ant-contrib
> - jakarta-common-httpclient
> - jakarta-ws-rs
> - maven-invoker-plugin
> - spec-version-maven-plugin

I will be maintaining ant.
maven-invoker-plugin is typically a test dependency, so alternatively
you can disable tests in your packages.
spec-version-maven-plugin can be easily removed, for example see
jakarta-annotations package.

> I introduced the jansi1 and jline2 packages so that jansi could be
> moved to 2.x and jline to 3.x, but I don't actually maintain any
> packages that need the old versions.  I would like to give them away
> to someone who needs them, but note that you will need to grab
> jansi-native as well, before Monday!

Fedora should ideally ship only a single version of libraries like
jansi and jline. Compat packages are intended to be used transitively
until packages are ready to migrate to the latest version. maven
package is a good example - it used to depend on jansi1, but has
recently been ported to jansi, version 2. If no one is interested in
jansi1 and jline2 then it's natural course of action to orphan and
retire them.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski