Re: Take the new Annual Fedora Contributor Survey

On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 21:34:22 +0200,
 Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03. 06. 21 20:29, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 01:00:23PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
Given that badges are being handed out, it is clear the survey is
not anonymous.

When the survey is complete, you get a non-personalized link which will let
you get the badge. It might be theoretically possible to correlate this by
IP address from logs, but I don't think any one actually has access to both
the LimeSurvey web logs and ours.

Also by time.

If you are concerned about privacy, save the link and use it to claim the badge later (after some randomized/secret amount of time).

My issue was more with the claim about being anonymous, rather than how to try to advise people on how to try to respond while making it hard to be identified. I doubt that many people here care whether their replies are anonymous or not for this survey.

I think people doing surveys throw that text in by rote because they think it helps response rate. When I see survey requests using that text my first thought is that the person requesting the participation is either incompetent or intentionally lying and I probably shouldn't respond to the request.

I think people requesting surveys should either make no privacy related comment or one that indicates what their practice will be. Instead of saying the responses are anonymous, they might say they are confidential or that they will be published without identity being explicitly included or whatever the practice is.

While many people on this list will understand that surveys are not really anonymous unless the responses are simple and special care is taken in how you interact with the survey, that isn't true in general. And I think survey requesters should be held to a higher bar in properly informing people about the privacy aspects of their surveys.