Re: 📦 Advice on packaging azure-cli

On 5/25/21 7:29 AM, Major Hayden wrote:
   1) Should I make separate Fedora packages/specs for each CLI
      component and the SDK components? The SDK components look
      nearly identical from a packaging standpoint (no executables
      there, just libraries in each). If so, that would be about
      80-100 packages to make and maintain.

For what it's worth, I went down the road of making a big spec[0] with lots of sub-packages. The spec is generated by a python script and a jinja2 template. The entire build takes about 15-20 minutes to run since there are plenty of files to process.

After going this route, it's nice to bundle everything into one spec, but it's also difficult to maintain because I'll need to bump the entire package when certain sub-packages need updates. Also, testing packages with the "big spec" approach is extremely difficult since it involves changing to lots of different directories along the way. 😢

At this point, I'd love feedback.

1) Should I break these up into individual packages so they can move independently?

2) Should I keep going with the "big spec" approach?

If #1 seems best, then I think it makes sense to package the SDK components that are required by Azure's CLI first. There's an existing python-azure-sdk[1] package, but it uses the deprecated packaging method that Microsoft abandoned earlier this year.

[0] https://github.com/major/rpm-azure-cli/blob/main/python-azure.spec
[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-azure-sdk

--
Major Hayden