Re: IRC Announcement

On Sun, 2021-05-30 at 13:02 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Frank Ch. Eigler writes:
>  > adamwill wrote:
>
>  > > Freenode has also shut down every channel that posted a libera.chat
>  > > link in its topic. That's not very 'trustworthy'. This happened to
>  > > multiple Fedora-related projects/channels, including #cockpit , for
>  > > instance.
>  >
>  > Those organizations have announced their departure.  Surely freenode's
>  > RESPONSE to that departure cannot be used as the REASON for the
>  > departure.  That'd be circular reasoning and a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>
> The *reason* for leaving is that channel organizers trust the Freenode
> volunteer staff to be reasonably accurate in discussing organizational
> politics, and don't trust the new management to behave ethically or do
> a good job of managing the service.  Channels acted in *expectation*
> of nasty behavior by the new management, based on how they acted
> toward the staff during the takeover (as reported by the staff), and
> perhaps based on Andrew Lee's past unsavory behavior and associations
> -- I mean, hiring Mark Karpeles of "Mt. Gox" infamy as CTO is a sign
> of crony capitalism, not good intentions or competence!
>
> The *response* of the management during and after the exodus is
> advanced as confirmation of that mistrust; it's elliptical in the
> sense of omitting discussion of the difference between expectation and
> reality, but it's not circular.

That's a good line, but not the one I was thinking of :P

Fedora was initially inclined to take a cautious/conservative position,
probably owning its channels on both networks and perhaps leaving the
'official' location for meetings and so on on Freenode.

But some other channels that are not Fedora channels, but which a lot
of Fedora people are interested in, decided to move, or at least to
tell people that they also had a channel on the new network. Then
Freenode peremptorily took over those channels for posting links to the
new channel.

Fedora people seeing that happen was, I think, a fairly large factor in
causing us to rethink the cautious approach and choose to just straight
up move networks instead.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA