Re: When is pappl going to be good enough to replace cups?

Chris Murphy wrote:
> Consumer printers have trended toward having an RGB only interface,
> making it impossible to directly control them per channel. In effect,
> the print driver is becoming part of the printer's firmware.

My Canon PIXMA MG3650 is definitely a consumer printer (and a recent one),
and it supports CMY-only printing via the Gutenprint driver. It speaks a
proprietary protocol, offloading most of the work to the driver, as is
common for cheap printers. Why would the printer do the RGB to CMYK (or CMY)
conversion when the computer can do it?

(That said, it appears to support AirPrint, at least the USB endpoint for it
is advertised. But I have no idea how flexible the AirPrint mode is, if it
works at all. But definitely not as much as Gutenprint, I am pretty sure.)

        Kevin Kofler