Re: hamcrest update to 2.2 in Fedora rawhide

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 1:55 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 1:10 AM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Next week I'm going to update package hamcrest in Fedora rawhide from
> > version 1.3 to version 2.2.
> >
> > The proposed update contains an API change that can affect packages
> > depending on hamcrest.  You may need to rebuild your packages to keep
> > working with updated hamcrest.
> >
> > The update has already been checked into dist-git and a Koji build has
> > already been done, but Bodhi update has not been submitted yet.  Bodhi
> > update is expected after a week, to comply with Updates Policy that
> > mandates a notification one week in advance before submitting an API
> > changing update.
> >
> >   Current NVR in rawhide: hamcrest-1.3-31.fc34
> >   Updated NVR: hamcrest-2.2-3.fc35
> >   Build link: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1748364
>
> Note that hamcrest versions 2.x have already been available for over a year:
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/hamcrest2

hamcrest2 package is orphaned and it will be retired soon, unless
someone adopts it. As maintainer of hamcrest I would like to keep it
at the latest upstream version. Older versions can of course be
packaged as compat packages with version suffix in the name, if anyone
wishes to maintain them.

> We packaged them separately because, IIRC, maven artifact coordinates
> and java package import paths are completely separate between version
> 1.x and 2.x so packages can't just be updated, but actually need to be
> ported to the new 2.x APIs.

That is the API break I was speaking of. Hence I gave maintainers of
dependent packages a week to respond and prepare their packages to
work with updated hamcrest, by porting to hamcrest 2.2 or by packaging
version 1.x as hamcrest1 compat package and switching packages to use
it instead of hamcrest.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski