Re: F35 Change: Drop the the "Allow SSH root login with password" option from the installer GUI (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Sat, 2021-05-15 at 17:53 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 5/14/21 2:50 PM, Martin Kolman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2021-05-13 at 20:09 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
>
> > > We discussed that in the Fedora Server Edition Working Group and
> > > opted to leave it as is for the Server installation iso. A lot of
> > > servers are running in a protected environment. And there are
> > > situations when you need urgent access but do not sit at your
> > > desktop
> > > and don’t have the key available. So let the server admin decide
> > > what
> > > is best in a given installation context. In most cases it is the
> > > current default (disallow password login)
> > Do those server deployments not have any users accounts other than
> > root
> > ? Creating a non-root user account, possibly with admin rights (all
> > possible from within Anaconda) would seem like a safer option for
> > accasional/emergency password based access to such machines over
> > SSH.
>
> I don't see, how this would any safer than directly using "root".
As far as I understand the original change in upstream OpenSSH it's
about only having to remotely guess a password to gain access to the
root account.

In comparison to remotely attack a user account you need to guess both
the user name *and* password, making the potential search space quite a
bit larger (provided the user name is reasonably unique).