Re: [ELN] Creating a process for ELN-specific changes

Dne 17. 05. 21 v 11:56 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 11:01:39AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 17. 05. 21 v 10:39 Vít Ondruch napsal(a):
Dne 14. 05. 21 v 16:58 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:53 AM Vít Ondruch
<vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maintaining a separate branch for ELN requires us to do the
following things:
* Create an `eln` branch for the package
* Exclude the package from the Rawhide auto-rebuild
This is not necessary as long as `git pull --rebase` works.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What I was saying is that we need to
make sure that the auto-rebuild doesn't attempt to build the Rawhide
content in the ELN buildroot for this package.

I think you are considering something like:

~~~

$ git checkout eln

$ git merge rawhide

~~~

I am talking about

~~~

$ git checkout eln

$ git pull --rebase rawhide

~~~

IOW if there is some commit on top of Rawhide, it will be
preserved as long as it cleanly merges, which will be successful
99 % of time IMO.

Reading the rest of discussion, maybe there should be two strategies
for ELN branch:

1) the `pull --rebase` I am talking about

2) complete cut-off for cases such as FF, where the ESR should be
probably maintained independently, with possible cherry-picks from
Rawhide.
Are rebases (or any other change which does not preserve branch
history) allowed? We don't allow them for normal branches [1],
and I would expect the 'eln' branch to follow the same rule.

Good point, I have not thought about it and you are right.

But I'd be more concerned about user experience pulling the rebased branches then about builds. Builds can be tagged after all.

Vít

[1] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2387

Zbyszek