What is next for PDC - conslusion of ARC team

After few weeks of prototypes and discussions with fedora RelEng and
QA people, we have a rough plan how to replace and retire PDC.

First, I want to make it clear that there is no timeline yet, the work
to replace PDC might be scoped next quarter at the earliest and
because we plan to split it's responsibilities into several
application it could take a significant ammount of time before we
truly retire it.

Second, the PDC as it is currently deployed will continue to stay in
its limbo, with no new development, as we found out properly updating
PDC would require similar amount of work as splitting it and retiring
it.

The plan forward is to move most of responsibilities of PDC would be
moved to pagure-dist-git, as it already knows about the
global-components and product versions, and has partial information
about retirement of components.

Critical path information would be moved to Bodhi, as it is the main
place where we need to query it, because packages on critical path
stay longer in testing.

Last, we would create a smaller service that would serve the metadata
for composes and rpms in composes for Fedora QA to query with fedfind.

I am currently working on properly spec out the work, so that is ready
for scoping and review and will be sharing that here, once it is done.

In the meantime, you can read-up on our notes that lead [1] us to this
conclusion.

Let us know if we missed something :-)

Adam

[1] https://fedora-arc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/pdc/index.html