Re: RPM name collisions

On 5/7/21 12:08 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Really? I mean, third party repos have been around forever. It's not
like they're a new thing. I'm not really opposing any sensible
improvements here, I'm just not seeing the same clear story as you are
here? Why do you think there are going to be a lot more third party
repos used in future?

I'm not saying things are horrible now--just that the trend is slightly alarming ("We have to know where we are but even more importantly, where we're heading"). Realistically, there's so much already in fedora/updates/rpmfusion that it's hard to maintain it at level (java:), so we'll probably be using third-party repos because they are better than curl|bash :). I think it's cool that MS is publishing their software via RPM repos.

I looked at my own system and saw that I have 12 active repos, and 50 total (as shown by repolist --all, including all the debuginfo/source/testing/etc) I had RoCm for OpenCL, someone's repo for Atom, Microsoft when I was checking out PowerShell and VSCode, an old cisco-h264 from when I needed it  for video. The system works very well---I was getting updates automagically, and whatnot. But there's also breakage: h264 and atom repos disappeared, so I disabled them out of extra caution.

Bottom line for this conversation is:  I am glad to see that the DNF team is thinking about those issues.

Maybe I'm getting it all wrong worrying about RPM because the future third-party software will ship in containers or flatpaks, but as of now I am not a fan of those.