Re: Source-git SIG meeting minutes from 2021-05-05

Sure, see below. I'll keep in mind to do this going forward :)

# Source-git SIG meeting 2021-05-05

## Intro discussion \[motivation\]

Neal: not having a dist-git tree makes it difficult for packagers to
work with packages. Downstream to consume Fedora packages.

Florian: source-git to dist-git conversion might be problematic.

Florian: synthesize srpms.

Neal: no way to tell the order, or to retrieve a version.

Florian: how about using composes?

Neal: difficult on rely to them. Fedora has no history of
composes. Compose can get complicated.

Neal picks up Fedora packages and rebuilds them for Suse and Ubuntu;
and contributes changes to dist-git for things that make sense // the
intention is for people to contribute back to upstream * Example of such
package: https://pagure.io/libvirt-deb

Neal: Source code vs packaging: in source it's more difficult to get
consistency.

Neal suggests to have consistency in how source-git repos work, are
interacted with so it's convenient for maintainers and contributors and
they have consistent experience across all.

Hunor will share a proposal for the workflow.

Florian opened up a PR with rules how Red Hat Kernel team is
doing commit messages in their source-git (dist-git) repos:
https://pagure.io/fedora-source-git/docs/pull-request/1

## How do we reach consistency?

Next step: propose a workflow and reach a conclussion on it.

## Where will be the source-git repos hosted?

https://pagure.io/fedora-source-git/sig/issue/1

Neal: should be hosted on src.fedoraproject.org (Pagure) - FPCA. B/c of
git-hooks, which GitLab, for example, is missing.

Neal: we need to block content which does not comply with our source-git
workflow/rules.

Hunor: our current proposal is to convert src repos to dist-git and do
official builds from dist-git.

Neal: opensuse is adopting pagure as a git forge
(https://code.opensuse.org) and is interested in a src-based workflow
and Neal is interested in bringing what we develop here to that community

Florian has a set of src <-> dist-git scripts of his own and would like
to get rid of those for some universal workflow

Justin Forbes (via IRC): We need to ask Fedora infra for input. We may
not like their answer, but with a project this size, we need to get them
involved earlier rather than later.

## Synchronization dist-git and src trees

Bi-directional sync is really tricky, especially for in-flight changes:
would reqire rebase.

Figure out the workflows and then try to simplify the problem domain.

Neil: spec-files might not be the same in source-git as they are in
dist-git.

## Meeting time: how can we all meet?

https://pagure.io/fedora-source-git/sig/issue/5

Meet on the 2nd and 4th weeks of the month.  Maybe do it 30-60 minutes
later.

All agreed to move to 2nd and 4th.