Re: Upgrading Rawhide yesterday set hostname to localhost.localdomain

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 09:16:38AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> I assume you had 'localhost.localdomain' in /etc/hostname, and now
> you have 'pick.home.annexia.org' after the call to 'hostnamectl
> set-hostname'. This sounds like a bug in NM then, because the static
> configuration in /etc/ should take precedence, so NM shouldn't set
> the hostname at all.

This is possible, yes.

> If it's not too much trouble, could you attach the output from
> 'busctl introspect org.freedesktop.hostname1
> /org/freedesktop/hostname1 org.freedesktop.hostname1', ideally
> without NM running, so we know what hostnamed thinks on its own?

With NM disabled:

$ busctl introspect org.freedesktop.hostname1 /org/freedesktop/hostname1 org.freedesktop.hostname1  | cat
NAME                       TYPE      SIGNATURE RESULT/VALUE                             FLAGS
.GetProductUUID            method    b         ay                                       -
.SetChassis                method    sb        -                                        -
.SetDeployment             method    sb        -                                        -
.SetHostname               method    sb        -                                        -
.SetIconName               method    sb        -                                        -
.SetLocation               method    sb        -                                        -
.SetPrettyHostname         method    sb        -                                        -
.SetStaticHostname         method    sb        -                                        -
.Chassis                   property  s         "desktop"                                emits-change
.DefaultHostname           property  s         "fedora"                                 const
.Deployment                property  s         ""                                       emits-change
.HardwareModel             property  s         ""                                       const
.HardwareVendor            property  s         ""                                       const
.HomeURL                   property  s         "https://fedoraproject.org/";             const
.Hostname                  property  s         "pick.home.annexia.org"                  emits-change
.HostnameSource            property  s         "static"                                 emits-change
.IconName                  property  s         "computer-desktop"                       emits-change
.KernelName                property  s         "Linux"                                  const
.KernelRelease             property  s         "5.11.0-0.rc3.122.fc34.x86_64"           const
.KernelVersion             property  s         "#1 SMP Mon Jan 11 15:10:32 UTC 2021"    const
.Location                  property  s         ""                                       emits-change
.OperatingSystemCPEName    property  s         "cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:35"         const
.OperatingSystemPrettyName property  s         "Fedora 35 (Workstation Edition Prerele… const
.PrettyHostname            property  s         ""                                       emits-change
.StaticHostname            property  s         "pick.home.annexia.org"                  emits-change

Should we move this discussion to a BZ?

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v