Re: F35 Change: More flexible use of SSSD fast cache for local users (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 10:48 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FlexibleLocalUserCache
>
> == Summary ==
> Allow to switch SSSD’s fast cache for local users on and off at runtime.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:sbose| Sumit Bose]]
> * Email: sbose@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> In Fedora 26 SSSD’s fast cache for local users was introduced by
> [[Changes/SSSDCacheForLocalUsers|SSSDCacheForLocalUsers]]. It is
> currently enabled by default which means that ''sss'' is the first
> module listed for the ''passwd'' and ''group'' databases in
> ''/etc/nsswitch.conf'' and that the ''sssd'' monitor process, the
> ''sssd_nss'' responder and the ''sssd_be'' backend process are running
> by default. Those defaults made sense because at this time changes to
> ''/etc/nsswitch.conf'' required a reboot because long running
> processes were not aware of the changes because ''/etc/nsswitch.conf''
> was read only once during the first lookup (it might be sufficient to
> restart all long running processes but a reboot is typically easier).
> With ''glibc'' version 2.33, available since Fedora 34,
> ''/etc/nsswitch.conf'' will be reread automatically for the next
> lookup if it was modified (timestamp changed). This allows to enable
> or disable SSSD’s fast cache for local users and update
> ''/etc/nsswitch.conf'' accordingly at runtime as it e.g. was possible
> with ''nscd'' (''nscd'' is deprecated in Fedora 34 by
> [[Changes/DeprecateNSCD|DeprecateNSCD]] because SSSD can provide the
> caching as well, this Change is not in conflict with deprecating
> ''nscd'' since SSSD can still provide the caching of local users and
> groups but can now also be switched on and off at runtime without
> potential impacts on local user lookups).
> Given that SSSD will not be started by default anymore to provide the
> cached local users it should not be the first entry in
> ''/etc/nsswitch.conf'' anymore. It would even be possible to not have
> the ''sss'' entry in the default ''/etc/nsswitch.conf'' and let
> ''authselect'' add it if a SSSD related profile is selected.
> The following components will be affected by the change:
> * the SSSD package will be built without the ''--enable-files-domain''
> and the service file will be extended so that SSSD will not be started
> if no configuration is present
> ** ''--enable-files-domain'' is already dropped for non-Fedora builds
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/sssd/blob/rawhide/f/sssd.spec#_506
> ** changes to the service file are already available
> https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/commit/a25256fe22dd0b976093d15a5c7c73e1dc64bbcc
> and are added already on non-Fedora build where
> ''--enable-files-domain'' is not set
> * in ''authselect'' the ''sssd'' profile will have a new feature, e.g.
> ''with-files-domain'' to set the order in ''nsswitch.conf'' at runtime
> https://github.com/pbrezina/authselect/commit/cc1d6b15310d8c9616d2ae1c8879baf3ed0f70ab
> [...]

We rely on SSSD for our enterprise login features in both GNOME and
KDE Plasma. If SSSD isn't running by default and glibc's nsswitch
doesn't go to it anymore, how is this going to work? The desktops
can't modify these files and reach in to configure system services.