Re: Flatpak install and DNF removal

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 9:46 PM Ian McInerney <Ian.S.McInerney@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> This is how to reproduce it:
> 1) Use the Cinnamon live CD
> 2) Install a random flatpak (note, since this is on live you have to deal with the space issue first)
>     sudo ostree --repo=/var/lib/flatpak/repo/ config set core.min-free-space-size 0MB
>     sudo flatpak install org.gnome.Mahjongg
> 3) Remove xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
>
> In step 3 it will also want to remove flatpak, but in step 2 I made a conscious choice to install a flatpak - so this will then mean I lose access to that flatpak I had installed. This can of course be prevented by doing "dnf mark install flatpak", but that is another manual step you have to do.
>
> This leads to the question: how can this be handled? When a user uses Flatpak to install a program, I would assume their expectation is that flatpak shouldn't be removed unless the user requests it explicitly (so not this behavior). I guess there are 2 ways to really fix this:
> 1) Mark flatpak as being user installed once at least one flatpak is installed.
> 2) Add flatpak as an explicit program on all live CDs it is included on right now.
>
> The cleanest would probably be 1, but can that even be done?

Anything can be done (in this case, probably as a DNF plugin), but
yes, that would involve mixing layers in a way we don't typically do,
and which could be confusing to users.

I think 2) is sufficient - whether Flatpak is present or not is a
pretty fundamental system level decision, and not something that
should happen as the result of a dependency chain.  For the Cinnamon
desktop, xdg-desktop-portal-gtk should also be an explicit package,
since having some portal implementation is necessary for the correct
operation of Flatpaks.

Owen

Owen