Re: Intention to dropping the the "Allow SSH root login with password" option from the installer GUI

Once upon a time, patrakov@xxxxxxxxx <patrakov@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> Ubuntu Server installer handles this in a very nice way by allowing to import SSH keys from a GitHub account given a username, i.e. via an URL like this: https://github.com/patrakov.keys . Maybe it's a good idea to implement the same feature in Anaconda?

I think dropping this is okay - Anaconda is an installer, and should do
only the bare minimum required to set up the OS.  The minimum for
authentication is either setting a root password and/or creating an
admin user and setting that password (or setting network
authentication).

There are multiple programs that offer network access, and only SSH gets
configured (minimally) by Anaconda, which really doesn't make a lot of
sense.  This is the upstream default, so I expect it's the case on lots
of other distributions/OSes.

Especially now that sshd is configured to use /etc/sshd_config.d/*.conf,
it's as easy as dropping a one-line file in there (no longer have to
edit the existing sshd_config).

If you're doing lots of installs (especially VMs), you probably should
be using kickstart mode installs, which support setting an SSH key as
well as post-install scripting (where you could tweak this).

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>