Re: New RPM submission

Il 01/05/21 10:21, Joan Moreau via devel ha scritto:

> For instance, personally, I am not using Fedora at all (Arch fan ;) )
> but just willing to make my piece of software available widely for
> those interested. I am happy to maintain the package in the long run,
> but will not get involve to much into Fedora project except my small
> piece of software contribution.

That's absolutely fine, but in my opinion the wiki should clarify one
thing: a certain amount of involvement in Fedora should be taken into
account if one wants to become a packager.

I don't think it's not entirely clear that by publishing a package in
Fedora repositories implies 1) maintain the package updated, 2) maintain
the specfile in line with future Packaging Guidelines changes and 3) get
in touch with the community to handle possible bugs filed by other users
which install your package.

There must be a section that clearly states that if the scope is "I made
this piece of software and I'll fire through Fedora repositories, then
goodbye", or "I use this software, I'll push into Fedora repositories
and never touch it again until this version is fine for me" there are
other means to achieve that.

That's the reason for having the "sponsorship barrier" at joining time,
that, I know very well, it's quite scaring if you're not English mother
tongue. Anyway, after a successful review of a package, one could get in
touch with some sponsors by filing a ticket in the appropriate page [1]
and some nice folk will help them to enter the packager group.

Mattia

[1] https://pagure.io/packager-sponsors/