Re: Dynamic preemption support in Linux 5.12 kernel

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 5:12 PM Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 1:29 PM Justin Forbes <jmforbes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 11:25 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> > <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > +1 for this. Significantly reduces X11 input lag in full-screen games.
> > >

> > From a kernel standpoint, I do not think turning on CONFIG_PREEMPT is
> > desired. That sets the *default* to PREEMPT, and changes the current
> > situation. I plan to keep CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY as the default.
>
> I'm curious: why do you prefer voluntary as the default instead of full preempt?

It has always been a nice balance for Fedora where we do have a lot of
desktop users, but also a lot of server users. And it has been well
tested as the Fedora default for quite some time, and the default for
RHEL as well.  I don't specifically dislike the full preempt, but
introducing such a change to rebases on release Fedora is a risk I
don't think we should take.  I might be willing to make such a change
for Fedora 35, where we have plenty of time to test on various
workloads, but that doesn't help anyone for a good 6 months.  I would
much rather get the option for users now (I will even put the patch in
5.12 if I know it is headed upstream).

> > The
> > code introduced is odd, in that you can choose other options (none,
> > voluntary, full) based on that starting point, but it doesn't allow
> > you to default to anything else and keep CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC on to
> > choose more preemption than the default.
>
> I've pinged the right people.  I'll try to make this happen.

Thanks.  If not I can take a look.  The code looks good, it is just an
unfortunate lack of options for distros who would like to use dynamic
without disrupting defaults.

Justin