Re: F35 Change: CompilerPolicy Change (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:18:59AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> The Red Hat tools team believes that LLVM/Clang and GCC should be
> considered equals from
> a Fedora policy standpoint.  Selection of one toolchain over the other should be
> driven by the packager's preferences not by Fedora specific policy.
> The only policy restriction should be that the compiler must exist in
> Fedora.

I'll be probably repeating myself, but the two compilers are known to be
ABI incompatible in very important ways, none of the
https://bugs.llvm.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=42439%2C19909%2C44228%2C12207
bugs have been touched since last time this was discussed and I'm not aware
of any ABI compatibility testing between the two compilers.
So if some library packages switch compilers and programs using those
libraries don't or vice versa, this proposal has quite high risks of
introducing hard to debug debugs.

I agree that for open source software and generally for users it is useful
if there are multiple competing implementations, in this case for the
toolchain, and the competition has been IMHO quite fruitful for both GCC and
LLVM over the past years.  It is also very useful if open source packages
are made portable or kept portable, so that one can use multiple compilers
to compile them, one can benefit from different diagnostics, instrumentation
etc.  But I'm not sure this proposal is a step in the right direction
though, e.g. in the Firefox case that is being used as an example for this
proposal that leads in a completely different direction, a package that has
been formerly portable and supported multiple compilers will turn into a
single compiler only application and will lose its portability.
Google, Apple, BSDs don't really care about toolchain choice and they push
a single toolchain only.

	Jakub