Re: F35 Change: CompilerPolicy Change (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 4/23/21 8:37 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:19 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

An example of a package that could benefit from this policy is
Firefox.  Upstream, the Firefox project builds primarily with
Clang/LLVM.  Yet we force the Fedora package owner to find and fix
issues building with GCC then either carry those custom fixes forward
in Fedora or negotiate with upstream to get those changes upstreamed.
While this process can be helpful in finding non-portable code, this
is ultimately a poor use of the packager's time.

Additionally Fedora loses the benefit of the testing provided by other
distributions where Firefox is compiled in the same way as the
upstream project -- when issues arise the Fedora team must consider
the possibility that the problem is due to using GCC instead of
Clang/LLVM or the patches to make that possible.  Again, this is a
poor use of Fedora developer's time.

This is not a good reason for changing the default compiler. This
makes it sound like Fedora alone is building Firefox with GCC, which
is not the case. If anything, *most* Linux distributions build it with
GCC. Even if I grant the idea that using Clang is "better", our builds
would not be very close to Mozilla's because we use different compiler
flags, system libraries, crypto policies, etc.

To me, this sounds like an excuse to avoid doing the right thing and
leveraging the toolchain that offers the highest quality code
generation (performance, security, etc.).

To be clear, I'm not necessarily outright saying this policy change is
bad, but the reasoning is weak and you're not providing a compelling
case for it. Fedora is known as the distribution where the folks
working on it help drive technical excellence in other projects, and
this sounds like you want to give up on that in this case.

I'm not particularly enthused by this Change if that's the kind of
rationale I would get for people switching compiler stacks.

OK, I also listed some other packages (qemu, clang, llvm) that might benefit,
what do you think of those reasons?  Or should I expand more on what the benefits
would be to those packages?

-Tom