Re: F35 Change: Switching Cyrus Sasl from BerkeleyDB to GDBM (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, 2021-04-16 at 16:31 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> [...]
> > sasldb plugin should provide the documentation about the migration
> > procedure.
> >
> > * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10084]
> > * Policies and guidelines: not needed for this Change
> > * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> > * Alignment with Objectives:
> >

> > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> > The migration script should be used to upgrade the particular
> > databases used by specific applications via sasldb plugin
> >

> > == How To Test ==
> > * Install the new version of the cyrus-sasl.
> > * Use the migration tool bdb2current provided by the package to
> > migrate your sasldb file
> > * update the configuration file to point on the new sasldb file
> > * restart the application if necessary
> > * Check that auth is still working
> >

> > == User Experience ==
> > not provided
> >
> > == Dependencies ==
> > A lot of application use cyrus-sasl sasldb plugins. Their maintainers
> > were notified via email and some of them have responded.
> >

> > == Contingency Plan ==
> > * Contingency mechanism: Revert the shipped configuration
> > * Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
> > * Blocks release? Yes
> >

> > == Documentation ==
> > Here is the notification sent to known developers of the depending packages:
> >
> > New version of the cyrus-sasl is planned to use the gdbm database for
> > the sasldb plugins.
> >
> > I've implemented the patch
> > (https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/cyrus-sasl/pull-request/3#request_diff)
> > changing the default DB and implementing the migration tool to make
> > the switching from BerkeleyDB to GDBM seamless.
> >
> > I kindly ask you to check the information in the following spreadsheet:
> > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z5eTSm3rtlKtEKPCxhI_wE861Xzg8kbvI...:
> >
> > whether your package is affected by the proposed change
> > whether the migration tool is suitable for your purposes
> >
> > and let me know or mark the results in the table
> >

> > == Release Notes ==
> > a new version of the cyrus-sasl package is landing in rawhide.
> >
> > This version changes the database used to store saslauthdb data. This
> > is part of the move to deprecate use of Berkley DB. The new package
> > will use GDBM instead.
> >
> > We provided a tool to perform migrations for database should that be
> > needed by a package:
> >
> > The syntax of the migration tool is
> > bdb2current <sasldb path> <new_path>
> >
> > Please check whether your packages use the sasldb plugin and provide a
> > relevant migration guideline.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) The contingency plan does not make it clear how users revert if
> the BDB version of Cyrus SASL has to return.  Does the migration tool
> leave a copy of the previous db file or files in place that can be
> used by the BDB version of Cyrus SASL?  Should the new file be
> migrated back in case of changes post-migration?

The migration tool creates a new file, so the previous DB should remain
available. We do not really have a way to convert back though,
modifying the migrations script to go ther way around should be
possible, but unclear if that is really required as you have a backup
of th user's db at time of migration.

> 2) I'm curious why GDBM was chosen instead of something like sqlite.
>
> Thanks,

Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team
Red Hat, Inc