Re: F35 Change: Switching Cyrus Sasl from BerkeleyDB to GDBM (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 04:32:29PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Detailed Description ==
> This change switches the default backend Key-Value DB used by sasldb
> plugin from BerkeleyDB to GDBM and provides a migration tool for
> automatic conversion from old to new format.

To clarify: will both backends be available for some time, and is only
the default being switched? Or will there be a "flag day" where suddenly
there's a new default, and after the update, old format cannot be read
anymore?

Also, the planned timeline is unclear. When will the default be switched?
By when do dependent packages need to be prepared?

> == User Experience ==
> not provided
>
> == Dependencies ==
> A lot of application use cyrus-sasl sasldb plugins. Their maintainers
> were notified via email and some of them have responded.
>

> == Contingency Plan ==
> * Contingency mechanism: Revert the shipped configuration
> * Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
> * Blocks release? Yes

OK, let's say we decide will not be ready for F35, and decide to
activate the contingency mechanism. What happens with packages which
were already released with an update script and have converted to the
new format?

I think 'beta freeze' is too late. Even if it is just a matter of reverting
the default and disabling the migration script and rebuilding the dependent
packages, this should be done *before* the beta freeze.
What about moving the activation of the contingency mechanism to
"updates-testing activation"?

> == Documentation ==
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z5eTSm3rtlKtEKPCxhI_wE861Xzg8kbvINWixSwQmLg

Please consider copying the list of packages with affected=Yes to the
change page at some point. This will be easier for users to see and available
in perpetuity.

qemu, libvirt, postfix, exim, subversion, openldap...
Quite a few important packages, it would be unfortunate to lose user
data for them.

Zbyszek