Re: F35 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Do, 15.04.21 10:20, Luca Boccassi (bluca@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > I'm confused about this - I had put forth an idea for how to make rpm
> > create this when installing packages (so it works with older or third
> > party packages) but the same xattr could be created for any packaging
> > system. Can you clarify what is rpm dependent here?
> >
> > Matthew.
>
> Hi,
>
> There's a few issues with using xattr, some minor and one major.
> The minor issues is that it's really not great when you are shipping
> stuff around - the source/transport/medium/archiving format might or
> might not support it. Having to deal with this for cross-building
> Linux binaries from Windows with SELinux labels I can assure it's a
> massive headache I'd rather not replicate :-)

I think this might not just be a minor issue btw. One of the main
goals of this feature is to make coredumps reasonably useful when they
originate from a binary shipped as container image. But do all popular
container envs even ship xattrs in their deployment images? I mean,
it's an optional tar feature, and do they all enable it? iirc original
"aufs" backed Docker didn't support xattrs, simply because aufs
didn't. I figure that leaked into all later versions, too, no?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin