Re: F35 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, 2021-04-12 at 15:46 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Package_information_on_ELF_objects
>
> == Summary ==
> All binaries (executables and shared libraries) are annotated with an
> ELF
> note that identifies the rpm distributing this file.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:Zbyszek|Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek]]
> * Email: zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx
> * Name: Lennart Poettering
> * Email: mzsrqben@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> See [https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/18433 systemd issue
> #18433]
> for discussion and implementation proposals.
>
> Programs crash. And when they do, they dump core, and we want to tell
> the
> user which package, including the version, caused the failure.

This might be better as:
  "which packages [plural] could have been responsible for the failure"

I used to maintain the Fedora "python" package, and I kept receiving
bugzilla reports assigned to the "python" package filed via ABRT,
because /usr/bin/python had crashed.  It was almost never
/usr/bin/python at fault: it's a tiny 4k executable linked to a much
larger libpython.so (in a different subpackage) - but generally that
wasn't at fault either: the python extension API exposes the insides of
the virtual machine and its objects directly, and it's very easy for a
buggy extension to corrupt something in the process, sometimes at some
remove from where the segfault finally crashes the process down.

I tried writing scripts to help update the bugs to use the correct bz
component.  In theory you could look at the deepest point in the
callstack, but it might e.g. be an assertion failure handler in a
shared library, rather than the "real" site of the crash.  Or some
object could have become corrupted at some point long before the crash
actually fires, so the blame can't be diagnosed just from the final
callstack.

Dealing with this deluge of misfiled bug reports is what got me
interested in static analysis and on maintaining GCC itself, fwiw.

So I want to push back on the idea that a single package can be
associated with a coredump, or be the one responsible for the crash:
any or all of the ELF objects linked into the process could be at
fault.

Hope this is constructive (sorry, the wording in the proposal touched a
nerve for me!)

Dave