Re: Gating feedback from early adopters after almost 2 years: It doesn't seem to work

On 10. 04. 21 7:50, Stef Walter wrote:
Hey Miro,

Sad to hear that it's been so rough.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:59 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello,
    I was torn whether to share this here or not. I don't want to be the one who
    always complains about things, but at the end I've decided that without honest
    feedback, there cannot be progress (and I've realized I already am that guy).

    Please don't take this feedback personally, I know that building things is
    hard.
    I don't criticize people, but the tools.

    Almost 2 years ago, we've decided to be the early adopters of gating in Fedora
    with the python-virtualenv package:

    https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-virtualenv/c/66b7533376f
    <https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-virtualenv/c/66b7533376f>

    Gating has proved more problematic than useful. It almost never works reliably,
    the problems are impossible to decipher and/or debug. Too often we had to ask
    for a CI-expert human intervention or straight out waive the results.

    The humans we've contacted were always very friendly, helpful and they were
    able
    to solve our issues. However, human-operated CIs unfortunately don't scale very
    well.

Heh heh.

    At first, we assumed the issues will get ironed out with time, but there
    seem to
    be no visible progress.

    Moreover, the gating caught 0 issues, because we already test our changes via
    Pull Requests.

    I'm not sure if others have similar experience, or if we just got unlucky :(

Martin Pitt recently posted a blog post about how he's been using the same tests and environments upstream in Pull Requests + downstream in Fedora gating. He also talks about "Fedora Gating woes" there. Perhaps similar concerns and pragmatic solutions.

https://cockpit-project.org/blog/fmf-unified-testing.html <https://cockpit-project.org/blog/fmf-unified-testing.html>

Thanks for the link Stef,
we will certainly be looking into fmf and tmt, it is on my TODO for a while. I had no idea it is to be more reliable than standard test interface, which certainly moves it higher in to priority list :)

As for what is said in the blog post, I am not sure that running test in upstream using the *exact same environment* is what we want. We want to run tests downstream using the Fedora environment as up to date as possible. The problem we are trying to solve is "make sure that if we do this downstream, is still works in up to date Fedora" not "if upstream commits this change, make sure it does not break in this pinned environment". For me at least, It's all about integration into the distro, not about regression testing -- upstream already has that covered.

(I believe Python situation wrt this is different from projects that target Fedora-ecosystem as their primary deployment platform, such as cokpit or anaconda.)

--
Miro Hrončok