Re: Zeroconf in FC5?

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:36:33 -0700, Daryll Strauss <daryll.strauss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fedora ships with Howl which looks to be the framework for doing
zeroconf. It seems that what's needed is integrating howl in to all the
appropriate places.

Although zeroconf looks like a good idea, the bogus entries that it created in our network routing tables were one of many red herrings we faced when debugging bizzare networking problems that were caused by a race condition in the 2.4 kernel that came with RHEL 3.

A mac feature that's really fascinated me is the way that you can boot a mac into a mode where it functions as a firewire target.

I've got an old PC that's getting abused by my toddler that I've been thinking of turning into an iSCSI target: I've been thinking of making a micro linux distribution, probably fedora based, that makes a machine into an iSCSI target. One application would be a 'storage appliance' for a SOHO environment, but another could be a specialized boot mode, that maybe lives on a small partition, that would let you boot a mainstream Linux system into a iSCSI target mode the same way a Mac can boot into firewire target mode -- there are concerns about security, and it would take some work to make a client so that this is 'plug-and-play' with another Linux box, but it would be a fun project and probably useful. Zeroconf would be a great way to make this happen.

The storage appliance project faces the more serious problem that my home network (and many others) is heterogenous: i'd really like a global filesystem that works with Linux, MacOS and Windows, never mind a planned Solaris 10/x86 test machine and a stack of 32-bit and 64-bit SPARC machines that I'm going to install whatever OS I can to run on them. It's for that reason that iSCSI might wind up in the same dustbin as WAP and the fifth-generation computer...