Re: Please clarify master vs main vs rawhide branches

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 9:06 PM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/5/21 1:05 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > On 05/02/21 10:08 -0500, Steven A. Falco wrote:
> >> I see that the master to main conversion has happened.  I'd like to know the recommended way to deal with that.
> >>
> >> Currently, I'm doing:
> >>
> >> git fetch --all
> >> git remote prune origin
> >> git remote set-head origin -a
> >> git checkout main
> >>
> >> The above sets  origin/HEAD to rawhide
> >>
> >> Question 1: Is that the right set of steps, or is there a better way to update my local repos?
> >
> > I think this is all you need:
> >
> > git fetch -p
> > git checkout rawhide
> >
> > Then optionally:
> >
> > git branch -d master
> >
> >> Question 2: For the packages I maintain, should I put changes in main or rawhide?  Should I keep main and rawhide in sync?
> >
> > They're automatically in sync. Just commit to rawhide.
>
> Excellent!  Thanks.

I knew the master-to-main change was coming but I was really surprised
to see a rawhide branch too when I received a new upstream bugzilla
notification. I went ahead with rawhide directly and then searched for
a clarification (shoot first ask questions later...) out of laziness.

Being very opposed to renaming the branch to main for the reasons
behind the change, I'm very happy that the opportunity to use rawhide
as our main packaging branch was taken. I understand that "master"
offends some, but for starters the word itself has several meanings
and out of context it doesn't have to be offending. I'm also offended
by the feeling of being virtually chased by a crowd with pitchforks
just because I don't see a harm of having a master branch or red-black
trees (with whitelist and blacklist, I can clearly see the offense).
For the people who want to be welcoming to everyone, please take that
side into consideration too, this kind of injunctions can also feel
exhausting, shaming and yet pointless.

I'm happy that we ended up with what feels like a very logical name
for our main packaging branch: rawhide is self-descriptive, consistent
with the other managed branches, and hopefully not going to discourage
newcomers to join. Hopefully the Rawhide TV show never sees the
pitchforks of the cancel crowd. Maybe it has problematic undertones
too? I have never watched it and don't plan to, for me it will always
be a Blues Brothers reference but next thing you know
#cancelbluesbrothers..?

I sympathize with the cause and support it, but I'm also baffled at
how extreme things turned.

Dridi