Re: ask to test latest systemd build for systemd-resolved problems

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 01:19:01AM +0000, Gerard Ryan wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-03-26 at 08:42 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2021-03-26 at 09:16 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > we have been trying to figure out the issue where resolved
> > > sometimes
> > > does not resolve certain names [1], e.g. 'google.com'.
> > > Unfortunately,
> > > the issue is only reproducible for some people (most likely it
> > > depends
> > > on the dns server or other network topology details…).
> > >
> > > One of the patches that seem problematic [2] was included in F33
> > > and
> > > then reverted. But it is still present in the systemd main branch.
> > > Before tagging the next release and pushing it to F34 and rawhide,
> > > we
> > > would like to solve this issue (or verify that it does not occur
> > > anymore).
> > >
> > > I prepared a copr build of latest system git [3,4] to make this
> > > easy
> > > to test.
> > >
> > > The ask: if you could reproduce the issue before, please test if it
> > > still occurs with the copr build. Just "yes"/"no" is already
> > > useful.
>
> I was one of the people who experienced the problem with 246.12-1.fc33
> on F33. With that version, I was able to resolve google.com and
> fedoraproject.org just fine, but it seemed I wasn't able to resolve
> most other domains that I tried (including duckduckgo.com and
> redhat.com). Just highlighting that as it sounds like other folks had
> issues with google.com but not other domains.
>
> With 248~rc4.git20210326.b240c08-1.fc33 from your copr build on F33, my
> wired ethernet (eno1) doesn't work, so it seems I've got other issues
> with that one.

That's probably unrelated. This shouldn't happen, so maybe file
a bug. Maybe it's something about systemd-networkd or NetworkManager
not starting (whatever you use)?

> With 248~rc4.git20210326.b240c08-1.fc34 from your copr build on F34 on
> that same machine (different ostree), I don't appear to have any
> networking issues -- I'm able to connect to the network and resolve all
> of the domains that I tried.
>
> Let me know if you'd like me to try anything in particular in either of
> those scenarios: I've got each one available as a pinned ostree
> deployment in silverblue, so it's easy to get back to them.

When sending out the email yesterday morning, I was trying to pin down
the versions where this happens. There has been at least one report
that this also happens with v246-stable and v247-stable, but no clear
confirmation that it happens with v248-rc tip.

Second goal is to find a reproducer and get a backtrace from when the
issue occurs.

Zbyszek