Re: ask to test latest systemd build for systemd-resolved problems

On Fr, 26.03.21 19:50, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 01:27:46PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > I'm using the copr build in f34. It seems to be working but the ipv6
> > ipv4 flip on successive runs as if there's some kind of race in
> > reporting one or the other first? Is that relevant?
>
> That's a feature!
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/3f0a7b3a32:
>
>     resolved: randomize RR order in answers each time we get something from the cache
>
>     This allows some minimal, crappy load balancing.
>     Fixes: #16297

Actually, it's more complex than that. The randomization only takes
place for addresses of the same family. i.e. we'll randomize the order
of A RRs among themselves (i.e of IPv4 addresses), and among AAAA RRs
among themselves (i.e. of IPv6 addresses), but we will not mix A and
AAAA RRs.

What you are seeing simply has to do with the order the replies came
in. i.e. when you do not specify the protocol that shall be used two
requests will be sent to your DNS server, typically via UDP: one for A
RRs and another one for AAAA RRs. Depending on the order they replies
come back you'll see the addresses in one or the other order.

We probably should add some fixed ordering between the address
families though, so that what is returned here is independent of the
order of replies we get.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin