Re: Default 'fedora' hostname and failing split DNS VPN

Hi,

I would guess your domainname is not (none), and hostname -f value is
fedora.domain_failing.tld. One of fixes might be to change hostname of
the machine to not contain domains suffix. Then only explicitly
configured search would apply.

On 3/25/21 2:51 AM, Robert Marcano via devel wrote:
> Currently I am connecting to a VPN that provides a few DNS search
> entries. One of these domains on the search path is having DNS
> resolution problems. This is not per se the the problem I am  writing
> this email for.
>
> The problem is that starting Firefox and Thunderbird take a long time,
> it took time to detect the DNS resolution problem was the origin of
> these timeouts. I am not using that domain that is having resolution
> problems.
Would dig fedora.domain_failing.tld take long before VPN is
estabilished? Does it timeout when connecting or after connected?
Timeout might mean some of connection provided servers does not respond
or route to it does not work. Even searches should mean just more
packets, not visibly longer delay.

> The real culprit is the default `fedora` hostname, instead of localhost.
> Starting a Wireshark capture there are DNS searches for
> fedora.domain_failing.tld, when starting Firefox and Thunderbird. The
> presence of the search path on generated /etc/resolv.conf isn't the
> cause of these DNS searches, I edited them out while the VPN was still
> active.
Try not commenting it out, but override default system value in
/etc/resolv.conf:
search .

> Even 'ping fedora' start doing these searches with the search paths
> appended. 'ping localhost' doesn't do that. The only workaround to this
> issue is to add fedora to the localhost entries on /etc/hosts.
That would be likely because localhost is in /etc/hosts, read by files
in nsswitch. But dns queries (if systemd-resolved is disabled) are
configured by /etc/resolv.conf.

> This in some way is a DNS leak, even on a VPN with perfectly working DNS
> resolution, the fedora name should not be searched on these domains
> until I am using the fedora full hostname on these domains. Even worse
> when simply starting applications like Firefox o Thunderbird.
Are you sure you do not have hostname set to FQDN? Have you tried
setting it to relative name (no dots)?

> Maybe changing the default hostname to fedora wasn't a good idea after
> all, or at least fedora should be added to the default /etc/hosts.
It should not be necessary unless fqdn is used as a hostname. "fedora"
value should be completely ok. But I guess even when connecting to VPN,
it should not timeout. DNS settings should be changed only after VPN is
connected and ready to forward packets. Are you sure no IP range
conflicts with used DNS servers?

Cheers,
Petr

--