Re: Default 'fedora' hostname and failing split DNS VPN

Hi,

I have a couple different ideas of what could be going wrong. Let's test a few things. First, please run:

$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf | grep hosts | tail -1

If it is our default configuration, it should say:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] myhostname dns

Now, see what happens if you disable systemd-resolved:

$ sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved.service

Does the bug go away? If so, it's likely a systemd-resolved bug to be fixed. (Reenable systemd-resolved with 'sudo systemctl start systemd-resolved.service'.)

If the bug does NOT go away, then let's test one more thing: please edit /etc/authselect/user-nsswitch.conf as root and change the hosts line to look like this:

hosts: files myhostname mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns

Then run:

$ sudo authselect apply-changes

Does the bug go away? I think that should almost certainly "fix" it. If so, you have a good workaround, and we know the problem must be caused by avahi, and we should reconsider our NSS configuration. But if the bug does not go away after this big hammer, then it must be a Firefox/Thunderbird bug, because if they try to resolve anything that doesn't exactly match the local hostname, then of course we have to do some DNS.

I'm interested to see the your results,

Michael