Re: [ELN] Proposal: ELN Extra

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 7:25 AM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sending this out now so I don't have to say all this in this
> week's ELN meeting.
>
> Problem: Users might want to test ELN for their own package/product
> that either is only in Fedora, or that has dependencies that are only
> in Fedora and not ELN.
>
> Solution: Create ELN Extra for those extra packages.
>
> Details:
> - Create a new Fedora target and tag: eln-extra
> -- eln-extra-build inherits from itself and eln-build
> -- Successful builds are tagged with eln-extra
> - Repo creation only, no images.
> -- Repo creation is on the same timescale as ELN composes.
> - Package list
> -- Package list is kept in a git repo (pagure/gitlab/github)
> -- Each package has it's requestor name/email associated with it.
> - Builds trigger just like ELN
> -- If a package successfully builds in Rawhide, and it is on the ELN
> Extra list, it gets built in the ELN Extra target.
>
> Notes:
> - This is not associated with EPEL in any way.
> -- Just because a package is in ELN Extras does not mean it has to go
> into EPEL.  That is up to the EPEL package maintainer(s).
>
> Troy

I wanted that to be a clean email, without clutter.
I see two downsides to this.

1 - More Fedora resources (hardware and admins) used.
2 - More "ELN Spam" and this time to people who likely aren't Red Hat
employees and/or maintaining a Fedora package in their own time.  To
me, this is the biggest downside.

Troy